Frequently Asked Questions
Pay People is a member of the Popmoney network and allows you to send money to or receive money from anyone in the United States via email or text.
Quick Facts about Pay People
- Pay People offers an easy way to send and receive money for all the things that come up. Need to pay a friend back for movie tickets? Send her the money and include a message saying, "Thanks for the tickets!" Pay People is also great for…
- pitching in or collecting money for a baby gift for a coworker
- dividing the bill at a group dinner (no more waiting to split the check; just pay or receive the money online!)
- sending a cash gift to someone
- paying club dues or home owner's association fees
- Send money using an account number, email address or to qualified debit cards
- Fees apply to certain payments and options (check fee schedule for more information)
- Pay People provides a large person to person payment network through Popmoney that includes 1,400 U.S. financial institutions.
- You can personalize your payments to friends and family with eGreetings.
- Not sure if a friend claimed the money you sent? You can track recent and pending transactions through your history.
- You will be able to import contacts from popular email services and provide multiple email addresses for contacts.
- Schedule future and recurring payments to help you save time and control your payments better.
- Add multiple email addresses and mobile numbers for any contact.
- Changed your e-mail address recently? Bought a new mobile phone with a new number? No problem! You can change your e-mail address or mobile phone number in Service Setup.
To send money to a person, enter their e-mail address, mobile number or debit card information and the amount you want to send. Or if you've sent them money previously, just select their name from your send list and enter an amount.
If the person you're sending money to is not registered with Popmoney, they will receive an e-mail inviting them to use the service and to claim the money.
Click History to track money you've sent or received. You can also see any pending transactions.
When someone sends you money, you receive a notification. This notification may be an e-mail or a text message. After setting up your Popmoney account in Online or Mobile Banking, you no longer have to access the Popmoney website or enter a transaction code to claim your money. Enable the automatic deposit feature and the money will be automatically deposited to your BBVA Compass account or debit card. That's it – it is that simple!
Not signed up for Online Bill Pay? Sign up today. After you activate your account, receiving a payment is easy.
When someone sends you money the first time, you receive an invitation. This invitation may be an e-mail or a text message, and it contains a secure transaction code which you'll use to claim the money. You will be directed to the Popmoney.com/BBVACompass website where you will enter your e-mail address or mobile number and the secure transaction code. You'll enter your payment account and contact information.
If your financial institution offers Popmoney at their website, you will be directed to use the service there instead of the Popmoney.com site. During the sign up process, the service will let you know if it's offered at your financial institution.
People who do not use a bank or credit union in the Popmoney network can use the Popmoney service at the Popmoney.com site.* There, they can send and receive money just as you do.
*Terms and conditions apply
If the person you're sending money to has signed up for the Pay People service, the money you send is deposited into their account automatically. If the person has not signed up for the service, they receive an invitation that explains how to sign up and claim the money.
With Pay People, three delivery speeds are available to choose from; 3 business days, the next business day or instantly to an eligible debit card. However, in some cases it may take longer. For example, if you send an email or mobile payment and the recipient is not yet registered for the service, he/she must sign up for the service so that we have their account information to deposit their payment. Also, if you exceed your next-day payment limits, then we will deliver payments within three business days.
Select the Request Money tab and choose or add the contact you are requesting the payment from. You can enter up to 5 contacts for a group request. You can request a fixed amount or let the person choose the amount to send. Varying limits apply to payment amounts and request totals. Limits are displayed next to the Amount field. Typically, funds are received 3 business days after the recipient of the request makes a payment. The money will be depostied to the account you selected when sending the request.
When you receive your account statement, the payments made through Pay People usually appear as electronic withdrawals (similar to ATM withdrawals).
Note: In some cases, the payments appear on your account statement just like your other checks. However, the sequence numbers on these transactions are typically higher than the sequence numbers on your checks.
Pay People uses several methods to ensure that your information is secure.
- SSL – Pay People uses SSL (secure sockets layer) which ensures that your connection and information are secure from outside inspection.
- Encryption – Pay People uses 128-bit encryption to make your information unreadable as it passes over the Internet.
Security is also utilized at specific points and actions in the product. For example, to help prevent an unauthorized person from fraudulently depositing someone else’s payment, one-time passcodes are used. For every initial payment to a new email address or mobile phone number, a one-time passcode is sent to the user. The user must provide that passcode to verify his “ownership” of that mobile number or email address before he can deposit the payment.
For best performance, we recommend you use one of the following supported browsers:
While other browsers may work with Pay People, these supported browsers provide the highest level of security, accuracy, and functionality.
Changing your browser to a currently supported version is easy. You can download a browser from the following web sites:
When the download is complete, follow the instructions to install the browser. After it is installed, you may want to select it as your default browser.
Yes, we've incorporated several enhancements based on priorities one and two of the World Wide Web Consortium's Web Content Accessibility Guidelines. These enhancements aim to make Pay People more accessible to assistive technology users.
The following features may help you navigate Pay People more easily:
- Link Titles – If a link opens a new window, you are alerted in the link title. Most of the links have descriptive labels, but we provide additional information in the link title if necessary. For this reason, we recommend that you set your screen reader to read the link title attributes.
- Table Summaries – Whenever information is presented in a table format, we provide a brief description of the contents.
- Font Sizes – The fonts can be resized without significantly changing the layout of a page.
Member of the popmoney network.
*To use Pay People, customer must be enrolled in BBVA Compass Online Banking with Bill Pay service. Any fees or service charges associated with your deposit account(s) will continue to apply. Standard text message rates also apply; check with your wireless carrier for your text message rate plan and available plans.
US Banks only. Payment amount limitations may apply. A "Business Day" is Monday through Friday, excluding Federal Holidays and other days that banks may be legally closed.