If You Suspect Account Fraud
If you suspect account fraud, there are a few steps you should take immediately:
- Contact all financial institutions with which you have accounts, including all credit card issuers. Be sure to include specific retail charge accounts such as Sears, Home Depot, etc. For Compass accounts call 1-800-COMPASS.
- Contact the major check verification companies to request that retailers using their databases be notified not to accept the stolen checks. The following companies accept reports of check fraud directly from customers: Telecheck (800) 710-9898 and Certegy (800) 337-5689.
- File a police report with your local police department.
- Contact the three major credit bureaus and request a copy of your credit report. Review your reports for any additional fraudulent activity. Request a "fraud alert" for your file and a victim's statement asking creditors to call you before opening new accounts or changing existing ones.
- Watch for stolen mail. If you suspect that any mail is not being delivered to you, confirm with the sender and contact your local post office and police.
- Keep written records of the incident. Include what happened, what was lost or stolen, and what steps you took to report the incident to law enforcement and the various agencies, banks, and firms involved. Be sure to include the date, time, telephone numbers called, the name of the person you spoke to, and any other relevant information.
We hope you find this information useful. At Compass, we believe that being informed and taking the right precautions can go a long way to help you avoid being a victim of identity theft and account fraud. Keep this information as a reference tool. And remember, we're always here to answer any question you may have. We appreciate your business, and we want to be a resource for helpful information whenever you need it.