Frequently Asked Questions
General / New Accounts
A merchant account from BBVA Compass enables your business to accept payment cards for the purchase of goods and services that you sell.
You can accept the most common payment cards issued around the world including Visa, MasterCard, Discover Network, American Express, JCB, Diners Club, and ChinaUnion Pay. American Express is subject to association approval.
No. Merchants physically located outside of the United States of America cannot accept payment cards with a merchant account from BBVA Compass. Currently, only merchants with a physical business address, business checking account, and recognized as a US business by local, state, or the federal government may accept payment cards with a merchant account from BBVA Compass.
Yes. We review your credit to determine the risk associated with sponsoring your transactions into the card association networks. Because we provide funds for your processed transactions, we must ensure that you are able to cover any transactions that are disputed by a cardholder, which may turn into a chargeback resulting in a debit to your business checking account.
Where can I find a copy of the Merchant Program Agreement which includes the Merchant Operating Guide & Terms and Conditions?
A copy of the current Merchant Program Agreement is available on our website. Simply visit www.bbvacompass.com/business/merchant-services.
After I have been approved for a merchant account with BBVA Compass, how long does it take to receive my equipment?
If you purchased equipment with your merchant services account with BBVA Compass you will receive it approximately 3-5 business days from the date your merchant account was approved.
Yes. Equipment is programmed and tested to ensure you are ready to begin accepting payment cards as soon as possible upon receipt of the equipment.
If you have not received a call from our Merchant Activation Team prior to receiving your equipment, call 1-800-239-1220 to schedule your telephone training.
The purchase price for your equipment will be added to your first merchant statement and will be included in the total amount due for that month. The total will be debited from your business checking account on the 15th or next business day of the following month.
If you elected to rent equipment, the monthly rental fee will be included in your total amount due monthly and listed as a separate line item on your monthly statement.
Yes. If you purchase new equipment you will receive a 1 year warranty. Refurbished equipment comes with a 90-day warranty.
Funding for Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Network transactions will be credited to your BBVA Compass business checking account the next business day after you have transmitted your batch successfully prior to 11:00pm Central Time. For American Express, the typical time for funding is 3-5 business days, which is controlled by American Express.
If you have merchant services with BBVA Compass but are receiving your funding into another financial institution, the typical time frame for receipt of funds is 3-5 business days and the receiving bank's funds availability schedule.
Do I receive 100% of my sales proceeds into my business checking account or are fees deducted before funding?
You will receive 100% of your Visa, MasterCard, and Discover Network funds into your BBVA Compass business checking account the next business day with fees deducted on the 15th or next business day of the following month.
No. Sales proceeds are required to be deposited into a business checking account.
If your account is approved prior to the 20th of the month, you will receive your first statement the first week of the following month. For example, if your account is approved April 10th, your first merchant statement will be received during the first week of May.
If your account is approved after the 20th of the month, you will receive your first statement the first week of the second month following approval. For example, if your account is approved April 22nd, your first merchant statement will be received during the first week of June.
Yes. An exact duplicate of your monthly merchant statement is available online through e-Connections, our comprehensive online merchant tool. Statements are available in PDF format accumulating the last 13th months.
To sign up for e-Connections contact 1-800-239-1220 or send us an e-mail to email@example.com.
The total amount due as listed on your monthly statement will automatically be deducted from your business checking account on file on the 15th of the following month or the next business day if the 15th falls on an observed holiday or weekend.
For example, the total amount due listed on your June statement which you will receive the first week of July will be debited from your business checking account on July 15th, or the next business day if the 15th falls on an observed holiday or weekend.
Can I mail a check for the fees due on my account instead of having the fees automatically debited from my business checking account?
For convenience, the total amount listed as due on your monthly statement is automatically deducted from your business checking account on file.
How do I order Visa, MasterCard, Discover Network, and American Express decals and point-of-sale signage? Is it free?
Simply visit www.orderfreesignage.com and order the decals and signage that you require. You will be required to create a new account the first time you visit the online store. Best of all, it's free. You can even use promo code BBVA.
It’s easy. Simply call 1-800-239-1220, Monday – Friday, 7am – 7pm CT and ask to speak with a sale representative about opening a new account.
Whether you’re a new business or an established business, payment card acceptance will likely have a big impact on your bottom line:
- Increased Sales – Consumers spend more when they’re not constrained by cash on hand. You may see increased purchases of higher-margin products as well as specialty items. And customers may visit your store more often.
- Customer Satisfaction – Your customers will appreciate the fact that you allow them the flexibility to pay the way they want to pay – including credit or debit cards. Happier customers are more loyal customers.
- Speed of Checkout – You'll speed your customers through checkout with rapid electronic payments. No more counting change or waiting while customers write checks.
- Improved Efficiency – Card transactions today are conducted electronically. These paperless payments can save you time and money by minimizing cash handling and payment reconciliation, which give you more time to do more important things – like managing and growing your business.
- Safety – With lower volumes of cash, you're less vulnerable to theft and pilfering.
- Complete description of goods and services. Remember you have a global market, which increases opportunities for unintended misunderstandings or miscommunications. For example, if you sell electrical goods, be sure to state voltage requirements, which vary around the world.
- Customer service contact information including e-mail address or phone number. Online communication may not always be the most time-efficient or user-friendly communication method for some customers. Including a customer service telephone number as well as an e-mail address promotes customer satisfaction.
- Return, refund, and cancellation policy. This policy must be clearly posted.
- Delivery policy. Merchants set their own policies about delivery of goods, that is, if they have any geographic or other restrictions on where or under what circumstances they provide delivery. Any restrictions on delivery must be clearly stated on the website.
- Country or origin. You must disclose the permanent address of your establishment on the website, which must be within the United States of America.
- Export restrictions (if known).
Suggested best practices for merchant websites include:
- Privacy statements.
- Information on when credit cards are charged. You should not bill the customer until merchandise has been shipped.
- Order fulfillment information. State time frames for order processing and send an e-mail confirmation and order summary within one business day of the original order. Provide up-to-date stock information if an item is back-ordered.
- Customer services time frames. Ideally customer service e-mails or phone calls should be answered within two business days.
- A statement on website regarding security controls used to protect customers.
- A statement encouraging cardholders to retain a copy of the transaction.